Customized Care: Occupational Therapy
Colleen Beck from the OT Toolbox puts it simply when she states, “Occupational therapy allows people to live fuller, functional lives by promoting health, wellness and independence despite illness, injury or disability.”
At Wellpoint Care Network’s outpatient clinic, we primarily work with children in out-of-home care, youth who have recently returned home from a foster care placement or have been adopted, as well as children in the community experiencing challenging transitions. Adversity and changes in routine can have a huge impact on mental and physical health. Occupational Therapy is a great intervention that helps support the child and their family through those changes.
We can provide services for children who experience challenges with:
- Regulation and internal organization
- Challenging engagement with peers, parents and other caregivers
- Sensory modulation and processing:
- Over-response to stimuli (sounds, sights, food)
- Active, sensory-seeking
- Processing speed (planning, sequencing events)
- Attention and Executive Functioning
- Emotional Control
- Organization of self and material
- Fine Motor Skills (grasp, dexterity, hand strength)
- Visual Motor Skills (handwriting, self-care skills)
- Independent Activities of Daily Living (safety, housework, meal prep, school organization)
- Strength/Endurance/Upper Body Coordination
- Peer interactions and social skills
We always strive to implement trauma-informed, evidence-based interventions based on the work of Dr. Bruce Perry’s Neurosequential Model, which also prioritizes resiliency and strengths-based practices. We implement the 7 Essential Ingredients(7ei) of Trauma Informed Care throughout the plan of care and monitor ever-changing circumstances of our patients closely.
To learn more about our Occupational Therapy (OT) services, please visit us here.
To make a referral or to inquire about services, please contact us at 414-465-5770. Our staff will walk you through the steps necessary to establish pediatric OT services at [email protected].