School is Where Kids go to Learn.
What if They Could also Heal?
In the average-sized classroom of 25 students, it’s likely five will have diagnosable mental health concerns. The need for mental health supports continues to grow. Many students are facing complicated emotions right now due to COVID-19 and extended periods of stress and uncertainty.
Toxic stress during childhood changes how the brain develops, often breaking important connections to our physical, emotional and behavioral well-being. That’s why it’s so important to bring mental health care directly to students.
Restoring Connections Through Mental Health Services in Schools
At Wellpoint Care Network, our vision is for every child and family to thrive as individuals and within the community. We recognize the need for children and families to access services within the school setting. Through our clinic, we offer assessments and interventions for children, youth and families.
Our integrated approach to school-based mental health services can do more to engage students, minimize classroom disruptions and create healthy learners. Wellpoint Care has flexible, trauma-informed programming to meet the mental health needs of students, schools and families.
Our clinical expertise includes:
- Sensory and regulation-based interventions
- Trauma informed care
- Cognitive behavioral therapy
- Consultation with school and teachers
Three Tiers, One Plan
We take a three-tiered approach to School-based Mental Health services, known as the Integrated School Based Model.
Tier 1 Trainings: Universal Interventions focus on understanding the impact of mental health on learning. You will create proactive interventions for all students with an eye toward maintaining their mental health and well-being.
Tier 2 Trainings: Secondary Interventions are where ideas are put into action. We start with classroom observations and recommendations to turn teachers into learners as we model ways to support regulation and emotional awareness.
Tier 3 Trainings: Tertiary Interventions are individual and direct services that take place in the school, which makes services more accessible and creates greater consistency. It also connects services back to the school environment.
From there, you can focus on the task at hand: Educating students who are ready to learn.
Trauma Sensitive Schools Approach
As a leader in Trauma Informed Care, Wellpoint Care recognizes the need to connect training to interventions.
We believe in creating a perspective shift for teachers and behavioral support systems for youth in learning environments. Embedded in our integrated school mental health model is our Trauma Sensitive Schools curriculum, which:
- Helps remove barriers to educational success
- Appreciates the impact and prevalence of trauma
- Leads to a perspective shift by changing the question from “What’s wrong with you?” to “What happened to you and how can I support you?”
- Provides sensory and regulation-based activities
- Uses relationship to help students create resilience
- Helps students find their reason to be; the sense of purpose or direction
- Teaches self-care so you can be the best educator you can be
Contact us to learn more.
School Based Clinic Locations
- Arrowhead Union High School District
- Boys and Girls Clubs of Milwaukee
- Carmen Schools of Science & Technology
- Central City Cyberschool
- Elmbrook School District
- Erin School District
- Holy Hill Area School District
- Messmer Catholic Schools
- Pewaukee School District
- Rocketship Charters
- School District of Menomonee Falls
- School District of South Milwaukee
- Seeds Of Health
- Wauwatosa School District
- West Allis West Milwaukee