Former Foster Youth, We Got Your Back
When young people age out of foster care, they often struggle with common tasks like maintaining a job, applying to college and getting their first apartment. Wellpoint Care Network’s Youth Transitioning to Adulthood (YTA) program aims to support former foster youth as they navigate life as an adult on their own.
Supporting Youth Leaving Care
Youth who have exited, or will be exiting, out of foster care in Milwaukee County who join YTA create an individualized Plan for Success. Wellpoint Care Network case managers provide guidance in supporting the youth to achieve their goals.
The Plan for Success allows goals to be developed within the Five Pillars of Stability, which include:
- Education: Setting up college visits, researching funds available for secondary education, navigating the process of applying for school or identifying alternative paths to obtaining a diploma or degree.
- Employment: Hosting and attending job fairs, development of soft skills and finding suitable employment that can provide financial stability.
- Housing: Understanding leases and tenant rights, maintaining housing and some provision of household items.
- Health: Coaching on the importance of identifying providers in the community for health needs, as well as support in accessing mental health services.
- Caring connections: Creating a safe and trusted relationship as youth begin to focus on building a network of support to assist them throughout adulthood.
The YTA program is a partnership with the Wisconsin Department of Children and Families. Wellpoint Care has proudly been delivering independent living services to youth since 2007.
When youth age out of foster care, it’s far too easy for them to fall off the grid and not have access to services to help them successfully enter into adulthood. GRiD MKE changes that. The app provides hundreds of resources in the areas of education, employment, health and housing as well as basic or emergency needs, like food and clothing pantries.
If you’d like to support young people in their journey to adulthood, please visit our Donation Page.
For more information, please visit our How Can We Help? page.
Wellpoint Care Network on Instagram
Wellpoint Care Network on TikTok
Ready to take the next step?
Related Articles, Events and Media
48 Things (and Counting) To Do While Physical Distancing
As the outbreak of COVID-19 continues to unfold, the most important thing to remember is that you’ll be spending a…
Accelerating the Compassion Curve: Who is Caring for the Caregivers?
It seems like every news feed or social media post you have seen in in recent months leads with the same sentiment: “In these uncertain…
Equitable Mental Health through Teletherapy
Mental Health is an equity issue. Mental health struggles can affect anyone, despite race, class or background. However, some populations…
Transforming Systems of Care: What’s Going On in Racine County
Do you remember your first job as a helper? Mine goes back more than 25 years when I was hired…
What is Resilience?
I’ve started to do a new activity in my virtual trainings: I ask participants to write in the chat box…